Sunday 27 July 2008

Living with Caligula

It's strange how life always finds a way of levelling things out. After the enormous highs of publication and the book party, this week I've had a lesson in what truly matters.
I've spent most of the week in hospital visiting my 17-year-old son who was taken in on Tuesday. He needed blood and various other transfusions, including some that took all night, and had lots of tests. Through it all he kept his sense of humour, joking with the nurses and his fellow patients. He didn't complain once, although he must have been in pain and worried about what was happening to him. I've never been so proud of him.

2 comments:

Tam said...

That sounds like a fantastic attitude to have in hospital. So easy to give into the misery and the anxiety and leave your sense of humour at home.

Your son sounds like he has fight in him, I'm sure he'll recover quickly.

Doug said...

Thanks Tam, I appreciate that. Hope your writing's going well. If it can happen for me it can happen for anybody