Wednesday 19 December 2012

A year in the life ...

It's time for the annual Jackson Enterprises end of term report. 2012 was a great year for me in a lot of ways. I published two novels and wrote two others. Avenger of Rome has probably had the best reviews of any of my books so far and I don't think there's any doubt that it's the best historical novel I've written. The Isis Covenant (James Douglas) also received a lot of praise and was undoubtedly a step on from The Doomsday Testament. If that wasn't enough I signed a contract to write another five books for Transworld, for which huge thanks to my former editor Simon Thorogood, whose faith in my ability changed my life.
On the events front, I was given a fantastic welcome at History in the Court and the Historical Novel Society conference in London and appeared on panels, with, among others, the wonderful Bernard Cornwell. I've done readings and panels all over Scotland and met some wonderful people.
The only downside was the cancellation of the Festival of History at Kelmarsh because of the flooding, but hopefully we can make up for that this year.
Going back twelve months, 2012 looked challenging, but I was confident things would work out. 2013 is going to be challenging for slightly different reasons. I have two books to edit - Sword of Rome and The Excalibur Codex, which will be out in the summer - two books to write from scratch, beginning in January, and I'm working on a rewrite of another at the moment which will hopefully be published next year. Oh, and I plan to put The Emperor's Elephant - the final part of the Rufus trilogy - out on e-book. It's also time to think about trying to get my characters on the big screen. I think Hero of Rome is probably the most filmable of my books. A story of doomed love, loyalty, courage, comradeship and sacrifice set against the background of a bloody insurrection. Great characters. Battles on an epic scale, but in a compact, almost claustrophobic setting, and the final heroic last stand. Rome's Alamo. If you have any contacts in Hollywood ...
A Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year to all my readers!

5 comments:

E S Moxon said...

Doug,

It's fantastic you have had such a productive 2012. I think everyone held their breath through this last year for all the portent and mystery the date brought with it. 2013 appears to be of equal importance as we pass the winter solstice and see our futures balancing on the horizon; that precipice of opportunity and creative expression. Like new shoots breaking through the soil, we writers emerge, clutching our works of art in hopeful hands.

All the best of success for you throughout 2013 and beyond.

Bright blessings, Elaine

Doug said...

That's a lovely way of putting it, Elaine, thanks and I hope you're equally blessed over the months to come, Doug

applegarth said...

Doug,you have just gone from strength to strength this year,not only has Valerius become stronger,i agree with you that Avenger is the best so far and you have now established Jamie and the the best is still to come with him,so great times ahead.I like the new web page,looks really good,how about a section for Jamie!Have a great Christmas and i look forward to a even better year with your new adventures of Valerius and Jamie in 2013.

Gabriele Campbell said...

I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

Wondering when Avenger of Rome will be available for Kindle in US. I would've sworn it was made available and subsequently withdrawn.