Monday 6 July 2009

Countdown to Claudius

Apologies for the two week absence. I've never been busier in my life and I'm writing this when I should be getting ready for the train, so it will have to be quick.

Only ten days left in the Countdown to Claudius. Only seven days left until Doug Jackson's life changes entirely, completely and irreversibly. My leaving date is now July 14 because I'll be editing The Scotsman on the Sunday. Twenty-four copies of Claudius arrived in a large box on Friday and it looks fantastic, even better than Caligula. The three people who've read it so far have enjoyed it, but I'm married to one, the father of another and I work in the same office as David Robinson, but I'm in no way related to him.
But Caligula showed me how fickle the books business is. I got a lot of great reviews, but a couple of rotten ones. The hardback sold brilliantly, but the paperback has been a bit slow. Now that I'm committed to making a living out of this there's a huge amount riding on Claudius, so if you read it and like it, get on to one of those online review sites and tell the world!

Got to go, or I'll miss the train.

Doug

No comments: