Sunday 13 July 2008

Countdown to Caligula

One hour and twenty minutes to go to the big day.
How will it go? Who knows. All I know is that I've loved every exciting, frustrating, exasperating, glorious minute of the journey.

What have I learned?
Be patient:
The world, especially the publishing world, moves at its own pace.
Don't expect too much:
At times it feels the world is marching to your door, but it's not always going to be that way.
Celebrate everything:
It's a one-off experience. I'll never again be a debut author going down this strange and wonderful road and wondering what's at the other end.
Keep writing:
Because you're only a writer when you're writing; good, bad or indifferent.

I'm a different person to the one who began these blogs eight months ago. At the start, I still wasn't sure who I really was. For about thirty odd years I've been looking for the real Douglas Jackson. Now I've found him. He's a writer.

Thanks for sticking with me.

Doug

3 comments:

BB said...

Hi Doug,

I liked the last paragraph. It sums the whole thing up so well.
As I said somewhere before, I've been looking forward to reading this since way, way back in its YWO days. Copy ordered and (hopefully) winging its way to Ireland as we speak.
Hope you're enjoying your first day on the shelves!!

Anonymous said...

Howdy Doug;

How true. The writing bug found me, and has irrevocably changed me. A writer I shall always be "good, bad, or indifferent"!

I have stumbled across your blog today, through YWO, and have found it to be a wonderful and interesting read.

Thanks so much for allowing us to follow you, on your writing journey.

I'll keep an eye out for your book. Is it being published in the great land of Oz?

Congratulations!

Lil. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lil, thanks for taking a look at the blog and I'm glad you're enjoying the writing. Youwriteon helped me a lot. It's a great site. Caligula might already be out in Australia. It's certainly in some libraries